Early Post-doctoral Researcher (next Generation Sequencing)
KEMRI-Wellcome Trust Research Programme (KWTRP) is one of the leading research centres in Africa. The Programme engages in a wide range of research on the main causes of ill health in Africa.
The Bioscience department, KWTRP is seeking to appoint a postdoctoral researcher to work in the Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) technologies to relevant infectious diseases projects. The postdoc will oversee the day-to-day activities of the high throughput NGS facility, operate and monitor the performance of the MiSeq and Oxford Nanopore NGS platforms. Provide up-to-date technical expertise, advice and support on molecular techniques. In addition, there is potential to develop independent research along-side the core sequencing responsibilities.
- Biobank fellow
- Head of labs.
- Administration of core sequencing related funds.
- Management of any independent project funding awarded.
- Day-to-day activities of the high throughput NGS facility, operate and monitor the performance of the MiSeq and Oxford Nanopore NGS platforms.
- Optimize protocols for preparing NGS libraries for targeted, whole genome and transcriptome, shotgun and 16s metagenomics sequencing applied to the MiSeq and Oxford Nanopore DNA sequencing platforms.
- Manage, plan and forecast inventory for the NGS facility.
- Propose and develop new approaches for efficient sequencing of biological specimens.
- Work with scientist and students on sequencing needs arising from research work.
- PhD in molecular biology, genome sciences, biochemistry, cellular biology, or a related field.
- Strong background in molecular biology ability to work independently, and outstanding communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Prior experience in NGS library preparation, sequencing and data analysis is essential.
- Experience in infectious tropical disease genetics and advanced computing knowledge is desirable
- Keen interest in research
- Excellent analytical and quantitative skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills,
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
To apply for this post you must be a registered user. Log into your account then go to Vacancies, view the post and click on the button: “Apply for this job”.
All applicants are required to state their current/last salary.
Candidates must supply an email and telephone contact that will be used when offering interviews. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates shall be required to produce ORIGINALS of their National Identity Card, academic and professional certificates, original transcripts and testimonials, detailed curriculum vitae and valid clearance certificate (certificate of good conduct) during the interviews.
The application closing date is 17 August, 2018.
KEMRI-Wellcome Trust Research Programme (KWTRP) is an equal opportunity employer. Direct or indirect canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification. KWTRP does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, processing, training or any other fees).
Apply for this Job using THIS LINK